Build a Duck House with DIY instructions just like you would a dog house. This cheap and easy design is versatile and durable. Use on land or water. Includes images and step by step instructions.
Raising ducks can be very rewarding. They are in fact remarkable creatures. They just can not protect themselves against many of natures other creatures. This is reason number one reason to build a duck house from these plans. Reason number 2: This is about as a simple as a woodworking project could possibly be.
Duck House Materials
For the materials, we recommend using pine for everything. It is cheap and easy to work with. Although it might not last a hundred years, it will not contaminate your duck with preservatives.
2 – 4 x 8 x 1/2″ plywood
5 – 2 x 4 x 8
Build a Duck House Instructions
- Cut two 2 x 4’s 24″ long. Cut two of them 45″ long.
- Nail them together so you have a 2′ x 4′ frame.
- Deck it with 2′ x 4′ plywood.
- Cut two 2 x 4’s 20″ long. Cut two of them 45″ long.
- Nail them together so you have a 20″ x 4′ frame.
- This the side wall frame. Nail on top of the floor platform and repeat the process for the other long wall.
- Cut two more pieces of plywood 2′ x 4′. Cover the floor frame and wall on each long side.
- Cut two more pieces of plywood 2′ x 2′. Cover both short walls and floor frame with these and cut out the door in one of them.
- Top the duck house with another piece of 2′ x 4′ plywood.
- Level it up on bricks or whatever you have.
- If you want, make a small ramp from the door to the ground.
Duck House “Blueprints”
These 11 steps will get your duck in out of the elements. It will not keep them safe from predators by itself. It will take a fully enclosed pen to do that. If you are in a rural area, you can let your ducks run around a little during the day as long as they are supervised. Don’t forget some bedding for the box and keep it cleaned out regularly.